Riggs Cat has served the heavy equipment needs of major industries throughout Arkansas since 1927. We have met and
exceeded those needs by creating excellence in our operations through continuous improvement. For 75 years, Riggs
has been a driving force behind Arkansas' industrial, commercial and economic development through total dedication
to leadership, teamwork, innovation and excellence.
John Riggs, Sr. founded our fourth-generation, family-owned equipment dealership as Arkansas Road Equipment Co. in 1927
at East Second and Commerce streets in Little Rock, when he was awarded the Russell Grader Manufacturing Company
dealership. The following year, the company name was changed to Arkansas Tractor & Equipment Co. Caterpillar subsequently
purchased the Russell Grader Company and on November 24, 1928 awarded Riggs the Caterpillar dealership franchise for 45
counties in Arkansas. With that agreement, Riggs became the first and largest Caterpillar dealership in the state. The
company's headquarters later moved to a larger facility at 424 East Third in downtown Little Rock.
In 1930, John Riggs, Jr. joined the company alongside his father. In 1938, the company name was changed to J.A. Riggs
Tractor Co., and its sales territory was expanded to include 66 counties in Arkansas.
In 1959, the third generation of family ownership was ushered in when John Jr.'s son, Jack, and son-in-law Bob Cress,
joined the company. Later that year, Riggs' current headquarters facility at 9125 Interstate 30 in southwest Little
Rock was completed and occupied. Located now on more than 30 acres, it is the largest facility of its kind in Arkansas.
Branch facilities were subsequently established in 1938 at West Memphis, in 1944 at Fort Smith, in 1946 at McGehee and
in 1964 at Texarkana.
The 1980s brought a fourth generation of family members to Riggs. Jack's sons, John, IV and Keith, joined the company in
1982 and 1984 respectively, while Bob's son, Rob, joined Riggs in 1985. Today, John, IV is president, Keith is vice
president and Rob is vice president and general manager. Each family member has contributed substantially to the growth
of the company and helped to build on the tradition of excellence established by our founder.
Facilities and Personnel
As our company has continued to grow, facilities have been expanded, relocated and added. The Fort Smith and West Memphis
stores were relocated to larger locations in 1984 and 1990 respectively. In October 1993, Riggs opened a new facility in
Jonesboro. Riggs also operates a full-service hydraulic center and machine shop in Little Rock.
In 1997, Riggs ventured into the equipment rental business by establishing a wholly owned subsidiary, Riggs Rental
Services. RRS provides a comprehensive offering of equipment and tool rentals to customers throughout Arkansas.
Today, Riggs Cat employs over 400 people statewide and operates facilities throughout Arkansas: Little Rock, Texarkana,
Fort Smith, Jonesboro, El Dorado, Springdale, Harrison, and Russellville.